padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Tracy Morgan (Wild Theory #g)

Cathy and I rented "The Best of Tracy Morgan". I'm glad Lorne Michaels a). had the smarts to recognized his talents 10 years ago or whatever and b). decided that a best of was in order. He's a really underrated performer I think. The reason is because he's not a "black" comedian which is what most white people want a black comedian to be. Meaning, his funny doesn't come from ebonic cliche's (although he does a lot of those). His funny comes from an Ionescolike approach to sketch comedy. If you disagree, I submit the line "make a doo-doo pie. I love you." (Which, by the way, mysteriously was absent from the "best of" DVD.) Let me also submit the Esquivel soundtracked thoroughly non-scientific science fiction sketches of "Astronaut Jones".
So, of course his sitcom only lasted to the second commercial break. The people who truly appreciate Tracy Morgan don't want to see him in a family with a kid in a situation. We want to see him in a sewer talking to a box about stocks and bonds or in a safari outfit daydreaming about a parrot ruining his credit. Of course, that could never be a sitcom. In fact, it couldn't even be a successful sketch or variety show because the audience is too specific. As far as I know, it's just me and my wife. Oh wait, Cathy fell asleep. It might just be me.
I know there must be others. Or am I totally off base?

I do have a wild theory attached to this. And here it is:
I believe that most white people only like black people if and when they are acting "like white people" OR, conversely, if they are behaving in a stereotypically "black" fashion.

This is because in either case they are a). not dangerous or b). easy to label and therefore not frightening to the suburban sorority girl. That's why Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle (I love Chapelle) are superstars.
Lest any white person reading this argues, have you ever been invited into a black family or friend situation where YOU are the minority? If you haven't, then don't even argue. If you have, then I dare you to refute my theory honestly. That is, didn't you prefer to feel like all your previous prejudgments and misconceptions (no matter how small, insignificant and buried) about our african american neighbors were still true ("They're just like us. They're just not as good at it.") and when you found that they weren't, weren't you nervous? You find that, yes indeed, in large part, they have their own culture. Their own rules. Their own idea of what makes life worthwhile. And the difference is fine. It's great. But some white people don't like to recognize the differences because it might be considered racist. It's not racist. It's inclusive of more than one cultural paradigm.
I was raised in a "black" neighborhood and, until recently, I had a really hard time getting on board with white things to do with myself such as talking to other white people. Meanwhile, because I am white, none of the black people realized I was black. Therefore, I was pretty lonely for a pretty long time because when class or work or a performance was over, I didn't want to hang out with the white people...and if there were any black people, they left without me.

Now the real question is, do I mean any of this or am I just trying to spark some discussion?

But Tracy Morgan is great. Oh a quick list of my favorite comedians: Tracy Morgan, Brian Regan, Norm MacDonald, Dave Chapelle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking "Norm" off the air was a crime against humanity. When I saw the episode where he studded Wienerdog I had the flu, and I laugh-coughed so hard I damn near killed myself and also made the cats jump straight in the air.

I posted my annual St. Patty's day quote on my LJ and pissed off my friend Mr. Dan Kelly because he has a theory about Bud Billiken day. So it would probably piss you off if I told you that when I was preggers I went to see PimProv and laughed until I threw up in my mouth a little. Or not, because then I might be proving a wild theory of yours to be correct.

Regardless, Tracy Morgan, yes he is the funny.

Sat Mar 19, 12:58:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to think about your theory but my gut reaction regarding Tracy Morgan is that, funny or not, he, like Heratio Sanz, is a bad performer. Did he ever TRY to leaarn his lines or was part of the fun supposed to be watching him read off cue cards while completely ignore his fellow players? Funny or not, isn't one of the basic tenets of improv/acting to interact with those you are playing with?

You may have a valid point with your theory; I'll get back to you on that. But Tracy Morgan? Enh.

Sun Mar 20, 05:33:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morgan = funny. I saw some of his sitcome and I think Morgan is funny, but other people can't write funny Morgan stuff. Which is why the sitcom was not funny.

Sun Mar 20, 07:12:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALSO: I think that Tracy Morgan would have made a excellent Kramer. Tracy is an ensemble actor. ALSO: I don't know if I agree with your race theory. It sounds incomplete. I think that the opening statement is equally true if you swap the words black and white. At that point we are all dealing with insecurity and insecure people. p.s. I like your blog.

Sun Mar 20, 07:19:00 PM CST  
Blogger Churchill said...

Yes. I concede that my theory is incomplete and that you could interchange the "black" with the "white" or the "white" with the "asian". But I did say it was a "wild theory".
Do black people like it when white people act black? I bet they don't. However, suburban "white-flight" whites seem to "feel better" when blacks act "white". I don't really like white people.
Oh. Tracy Morgan is best (in my opinion) when there's hardly any reason for anyone else on stage. Such as, in the Animal Safari sketches starring Brian Fellows or in Astronaut Jones sketch.

Sun Mar 20, 10:28:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doody fart fart! Me likey farty doody! Doody doody fart!

Tue Mar 22, 07:27:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home