padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Tale-erico so far.

A couple Rich Tallerico stories even though I don't know him. One: while I was standing next to the guy who was talking to him on the phone, figuring out why he wasn't at the workshop he was supposed to be teaching, John (the guy on the phone) said, "whoa they're really fighting." I looked across the street and, along with one other improvisor, watched two big tough women team up and beat up another big tough woman while four of their closest friends and a driver of a car trying to leave the Aldi parking lot looked on. Even if no one else had been there, I couldn't have broken up that fight. Each of those women were bigger, stronger and tougher than I am.
I could see that John was trying to quickly wrap up the conversation with Rich so that he could hang up in case he needed to call the police. They stopped beating her up before he hung up though. Then they came back and sort of menaced her backwards across the street. We then realized that they were heading our way so we got inside locked the door and went inside. We are not tough. Nor are we looking to get wrapped up in someone elses trouble.
Then today, when I was waiting at the Hilton Chicago to get my trolley back after my lunch break on the city tour, I spotted Rich Tallerico walking out of the Hilton. I said, "Are you Rich Tallerico?" He said, "Yeah." And we talked for a minute. I told him the above story and let him know that I would be in his sketch writing workshop tomorrow. You know the sketch writing workshop that I backed into because others backed out?
By the way, that related to the trolley-running-a-red-light dream. Which leads me to an edit on a previous "psychic dream" analysis. Turns out that I was supposed to be scheduled to drive the trolley for the Chicago Improv Festival but a mistake was made at base wherein the guy above me on the schedule was scheduled to do it. I was mad at first but then I saw that it was just a pub crawl style shuttle taking people from the three performance venues to two bars. That doesn't sound like anything but a night of watching people schmooze and wishing I was schmoozing too. Yolanda, the woman who booked the charter, wanted to correct the error but I realized that I would be performing during both of the two available shifts (including a performance at the improv till dawn portion of the improv festival).
And there you have it. The strangely amazing semi-good luck of Churchill continues. I slipped out of a potentially psyche damaging driving shift in order that I may perform at the finals of the King of the Mountain competition and at the Improv Festival anyway. AND I met Rich Tallerico a day before his class that I'll be attending even though I never signed up for it.
And I still have my right testicle. Knock on wood. Repeatedly.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be at the Chicago Hilton and Towers on Tuesday, May 3 for our work event. I will likely be batshit crazy that day so you probably want to run the other way if you see me.

Unless you have some sort of psychic dream where I am in the ballroom closet huffing the nitrous oxide from the dessert buffet, or that I get run over by one of them trolleys, or I get the long-overdue merit based raise my employers have been promising since like January. I might be more docile if any of the above occurs on 5/3.

See? That's the great thing about working in the NFP sector. I can talk about my organization's $ on the Internet, 'cause our 990's already online.

Thu Apr 28, 12:08:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Churchill said...

In trolley lingo, 990 is the number of one of the trolleys. In fact, it is the most infamous of all trolleys in the lore of trolley life. Trolley 990 is the one that burst into flames on the highway while Fred Hickman (a then 70 year old man) radioed, "Help. I'm in trouble." And then had to grab his bag, squeeze his way through the doors and jump out of a moving trolley.
If you'd like to see it, it is currently in the back of the yard at the trolley barn.

Thu Apr 28, 12:46:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, lets not forget 185. Another infamous member of Team Trolley. I have driven this vehicle twice in my two and a half tenure at the company. The first time I drove it, a wheel fell off. Yes, a whole wheel, in front of the Field Musuem. It was first thing in the morning and there was no one on board (except me, of course). The second time I drove it was for a wedding. It broke down. During the wedding. Technically, it ran out of gas, but the gas gauge was broken so there was no way to tell. I love my job.

Fri Apr 29, 01:09:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home