padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Never give up!

Yesterday during the every-Wednesday-in-summer barbecue at work, the basketball goal was wheeled down by the food and we played basketball.
I wasn't really excited about playing an actual game against anyone. But a 3 on 3 game took shape. I had just eaten 3 plates of food and filled up the rest of the space in my stomach with coke and lemonade. Oh and then I chased wiffle balls and hit a volleyball around with some people before the game. And I haven't played a basketball game since I was 13.
I thought since it was a company funtime that joking around would be fine. Apparently, it was inappropriate. First of all, with the exception of myself, these were all serious ballers. One guy could slam. Another one was 18 and probably aiming for a basketball career.
I found very early on in the game that not only couldn't this white man jump but I could barely walk anymore. I was not a positive attribute for our team. We lost. Then I managed to get into an argument with a guy on my team and then he shook everybody's hand but mine after the game.
Weird.
So I took a break, caught my breath and we came back. This time I tried harder.
Then after the games, it turns out the guy who was arguing with me wanted to talk comedy. He did stand-up and sketch comedy in New York for four years. Now he's a tour guide studying at the Second City Conservatory.
To him I say: "Listen, comedy isn't something that can be done only when you feel funny. Comedy is a way of life."
You can't get serious when you're playing basketball. That's giving up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the immortal words of Steve Martin (when he used to be funny): comedy is not pretty.

Thu Jun 23, 08:36:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Comedy is a way of life."

Well put, grasshopper. No, wait, I am the grasshopper.

Mon Jun 27, 02:05:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home