padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Thursday, June 30, 2005

The people in need of trolleys.

Nothing important really happened today except that trolley had another barbecue wherein there was a dunk tank thing and a volleyball net.
I enjoyed the lemonade.
I then spent 20 minutes walking around looking for wiffle balls with a five year old.
Then a mechanic changed the wifes back right tire and we dropped a guy off at the train.
Don't expect anything interesting in my blogs until August.
Oh...except a guy's been going around brazenly and boldly in broad day light stealing tips right in front of drivers. Weird. I decided that if I saw him today and he tried it that I would act quickly and severely to prevent him from getting far with my money. Luckily it never came to that. But let me just say, in my mind I'm a ninja.
A trolley ninja.
I also saw my favorite homeless Micronesian again today. This guy named Philemon who claims to be stranded in Chicago for the past year was sitting at the water tower today. He waved at me. His ass crack was showing and his teeth keep getting worse. Before too long, he's gonna be a real homeless guy. Not like that former driver Aussie Mike who dabbled in homelessness before taking a job in Oak Park and moving into the YMCA...quitter.
Oh and a lady slept on my trolley for 3 hours. I didn't complain. It's probably hard to sleep in shelters or on concrete. She didn't stink or bother anyone. Except she kept masturbating with the fire extinguisher. But she's cool.
I haven't seen ol' guy without a face this year. I guess he moved on to another town where a guy without a face can still bring about looks of shock and terror. Not in Chicago. We've got George Wendt.
Lastly though, a very sickly looking lady with a backpack got on my trolley a half hour before we shut down. She was trying to get to the hospital but was reluctant to tell me exactly where she was going. I could have guessed that she was going there simply because she was probably 5'-9" and maybe 95 lbs (with the back pack). But somehow I could tell that she was very pretty. I felt sorry for her yet attracted to her. Maybe it's that "I could save her" thing. But also, she reminded me of my niece Madeleine...only much older. Same eyes, smile and voice. It was as if in 20 years, Madeleine gets really sick and goes back in time to see her uncle drive a trolley.
I felt so bad for this lady. She was trying not to be a bother and not to ask for anything special, which of course made me want to go out of my way to help. I wanted to drive her all the way to the hospital but I was afraid that that might be a dangerous thing to do with a trolley marked for the "free shuttles". I could get in real trouble. But at the same time I wanted to help. Ultimately I didn't do what I wanted to. I dropped her 2 1/2 miles from where she was going. She started walking. And I started practicing how I was going to tell this story to my wife so that she would feel bad for this lady too and so that in the future, I would have her tacet approval to do nice things on the clock.
Yeah, nothing important happened to me today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, this homeless situation ain't gonna get any better, especially for the women and children. Several city shelters are being closed within the month due to lack of funding. Interesting how shutting down shelters is part of Chicago's plan to end homelessness.

I mean, I love me some Chicago, but this city is not as easy to live in as it was 15 years ago, when I moved here.

Fri Jul 01, 10:33:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Web Mistress Julia said...

Glad to hear Aussie's got a roof over his head!

Fri Jul 01, 03:55:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I see trolleys driving around downtown I couldn't help but notice that the uniform shirt has changed AGAIN. What is that 12 or 15 dollars a shirt? I sure don't miss it.

Fri Jul 01, 08:44:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you not miss it, Anonymous? I miss it already, and I'm still doing it! I LOVE buying new trolley shirts! I also love getting kicked in the testicles with a steel-toed boot by a Nazi Dominatrix on Tuesdays. Around 3pm. In front of the Rookery building. I'll be wearing the new blue trolley shirt. ($15)

I hate my life...

Sun Jul 03, 07:43:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home