padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Nothing beats wet breasts...even in comedy.

So "The Co-Governors of Space" made an audience laugh heartily last night. And it was all very satisfying, deep laughter. But more than laughter there was surprise and wonder. Then after we presented our 7 minute sketch, someone else came out and presented laughter that was based on something I've seen a thousand times. That would be, either a child or an old person saying something precocious. Precocious doesn't do it for me anymore. Adults playing children rarely does it for me anymore. Now pepper in with that laughter, the fact that they were three pretty blonde girls ACTING like little girls. Four judges penises prick up. One judges penis stays still. But he likes the kitsch, the fetishism of pretty blonde girls acting like little girls.
Next, the dancing...oh the dancing! Why do women always dance in their "best" sketches? And it's always the "funniest" time to dance when it's kids or the elderly or the retarded that are dancing...you know people who don't normally dance like they do on BET.
So far we've got a slumber party followed by a drill team routine. I personally, already knew we'd lost this contest to jailbait. Because audiences fall for it because they've seen it before because every female comedian who fits in the category of mediocre has done this sketch with minor tweaks, be it the environment or the circumstances at which the scene begins. It's the same scene. It's Molly Shannon who I could never stand and all her followers who realized that as long as nobody catches them being unoriginal, they're safe to keep doing it.
Don, I'm telling your wife. There's no way she would have thought what they did was intelligent, memorable, clever or funny. She may have thought, as my wife and my colleague Iva thought, that scenes like that put women in comedy back ten years and women in general back even further. Because those are the types of women that let men feel big and strong and make women appear to have gone back to the kitchen, bedroom and laundryroom.
Then they poured water on their shirts. Cheap and easy. You want five men to vote for you? Be a blond in a wet t-shirt. Or better yet, be three of them.
Well at least the seven minutes is up...what? You mean, they can just go on until their done? Well we had fourteen minutes of material prepared, maybe we should have done all of it. Apparently the time limit was just a suggestion. They clocked in at over nine minutes.
Then cliche' was added to cliche' when, for no good reason, nothing that advanced the scene anyway, a stereotype of an ebonic speaking "hood" dweller, walked on and made some wisecracks.
Now, don't get me wrong. I was under no illusions at anytime. When I saw them walk on stage dressed the way they were and carrying identical buckets, I knew we had lost the competition because that's what people fall for. I just had hoped that the judges wouldn't be swayed so easily.
Our show was a half-live have filmed sketch leading into another sketch. The night was for sketch and improv. There was no indication that it was live sketch that was required. Ours was sketch. It was just that half of it was on tape. Oh and our female is an investment banker with a deeply intelligent and sardonice sense of humor who wouldn't demean herself the way those girls did for a cheap thrill (I won't even say laugh, because when the water came down, I looked at the judges and they weren't laughing. They were cheering as if they were at a strip club).
I really didn't come into this contest expecting to win...so that was fulfilled. But what I didn't expect was to feel that we deserved to win. Yes, the room may have been louder for the nine minute fetish show, but it was laughter along with incredulous screams and cheers of horny men. I could have arranged to show that too, had I known that the judges would be so easily swayed by tits.
If I sound bitter, it's because I am. It's obvious that ours was funnier in a deeper way than theirs and I assume, as with much of my humor and that of people I'm associated with, it'll only take a few days and then everyone (judges included) will only still be laughing at our films running in their heads. Then when their done laughing, they'll run the other groups scene and then run to the restroom to rub one out. All I'm saying is that perhaps the four heterosexual men were carried away with the gimmick, the spectacle and were able to stay with it for nine minutes for the same reason I was able to stand by my window in an awkward physical position with venetian blinds grinding into my forehead and face for three hours. That reason is...I might see boobs!


Good energy though.


Still love you Don.

On an up note, we in "The Co-Governors of Space" came away from the experience feeling more motivated than ever to fight against the mediocre and sabotage the machine of Chicago comedy. And we all also agreed that we had to proud of our integrity and dignity. Before I turn into Wilfred Brimley, I'd better sign off.

g'night.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the sketch comedy genre is part comedy, and part marketing. I have no doubt that you group probably gave the most pure "funny" in the room that night. To bad funny is not what has sustained our species over the past few hundred thousand years.
Sex sells, babyboy.
I bet the funniest thing all night would have been being able to see your face as the girls took the stage. (Chris glances to his right and pulls a straight smirk of known defeat across his face. Shakes his head.)
Now thats funny.
Dave B

Sun Jan 15, 10:52:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sun Jan 15, 11:46:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like tits. I like comedy. Hey guess what?

THEY'RE NOT THE SAME THING!!!

Congradulations on winning "Cheapest Parlor Trick" in a comedy festival.

Sun Jan 15, 11:50:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bitches, man, bitches.

Sun Jan 15, 12:38:00 PM CST  
Blogger Churchill said...

Keep it to yourself Weird Beard.
ha-ha

Sun Jan 15, 01:19:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

see... that is why I stopped going to shows.. You guys have always been funny to me. but I refuse to sit through the other shit. besides if I want boobies, I have the internet right in front of me.

Sun Jan 15, 04:59:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought boobies were extinct. If I come to the next show will I see any dodos?

Mon Jan 16, 08:30:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris (et al),

You assume you guys lost because your piece was "funnier" and that the only reason The Brothel won was because they poured water on their tits.

Wrong on both counts, brother.

As I said in the commentary to the girls, when they came out, dressed the way they were dressed and playing kids, I was prepared to completely write them off - I generally hate that shit. However, as the scene progressed, being a judge and all, I tried to keep an open mind and actually heard the progression in the sketch as well as the point they were making. To assume that this sort of scene "put women in comedy back ten years and women in general back even further" hasn't bothered to watch TV, see a movie oe walk by a newstand in the past, I don't know, FIFTY YEARS. Men use female sexuality to sell EVERYTHING - why can't women?

I assume you think strippers "put women in general back even further" as well.

As for the funny part, yours was funny. It was my second choice in the running. The judges did not vote for "The Brothel" because we had hard dicks - we voted for them because they presented a polished, funny, act. I laughed harder at the ass-spanking guys than at anything all night, but they didn't get my vote. Polish has a lot to say for it.

Finally, you will go much further spinning your material because you think it's funny rather than how much you are going to "sabotage the machine of Chicago comedy" - those who try to be edgy just come off a bitter - and bitter ain't funny.

PS: If I had been informed the girls went nine minutes, you would've won. No one told the judges the seven minute time limit was optional - I was told seven minutes. Period.

Mon Jan 16, 03:37:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let me see if I understand your point.. in comedy its not about who makes you laugh the hardest, but about polish? huh.. I had it ALL wrong. good to know..

Mon Jan 16, 04:16:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh - your sarcasm slays me - really.

If comedy is more than some asshole falling down, you know, something that requires a combination of traits including making one laugh, then polish has something to do with it. Chris Churchill sitting onstage doing armpit farts for seven minutes would likely make me laugh, but I'm not giving him an award for it and I wouldn't call it the end all be all of "comedy."

Additionally, in a festival focused on being rejected by other festivals, a little polish is key.

Finally, when the "prize" is a slot on a CIF stage, doing a mostly filmed piece isn't going to get you the win because CIF no longer has a film category.

Mon Jan 16, 04:52:00 PM CST  
Blogger Churchill said...

I think I should say that I, like Anakin Skywalker, have a bit of trouble with unfocused anger. I admire and appreciate Don Hall far more than could be destroyed by some ranting and raving at 3AM after a minor dissappointment. When I went into that contest, I didn't expect to win or even particularly want to. I don't know what snapped in me to make me react the way I did, except possibly the panic disorder combined with nerves and 300mg of Welbutrin. I can respect the "polish" comment. I know that that is one thing I've never had much of on stage...not that I'm not good. I'm just never polished.

And ultimately, it really was a super fun and highly motivating night for the Co-Governors of Space

Mon Jan 16, 05:12:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris - you know how good I think you are.

I LOVED the bit you did Saturday - you know that.

Don't be a hater.

Mon Jan 16, 05:41:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally i think Churchill is too depressing to be funny. Now that Scott character, man he turns that bitter asshole into sheer gold. I bet if he wasnt 5'5 he would be pulling ass all day long. I have never personally seen a show, but know that these two guys are good comedians. Dont get me wrong i love tits, and i dont know Don hall from Max Power or Turd Ferguson, but i think he was trying to blow smoke up your ass about the polish. How hard is it to have boobs and pour water on them? If he was looking for polish he should have seen right threw that shit. I am sure those girls perfromed that sketch a dozen times. (everytime they went to Cancun) You guys might be 60 when you finally get a well deserved break, but atleast your friends know you are funny.

Tue Jan 17, 12:45:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home