padding-top:30px;
<
Google

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Open letter to all those people who are pretending to be me.

Been pondering, with great concern, this idea of a possibly infinite number of parallel universes. Are all those guys me? Are they really that much like me? Should I feel like I'm less important if I make a worse choice than one of my counterparts in another universe. Is it helpful to blog these strange questions? The real problem is, why do I panic when I think that there's somebody out there doing exactly or almost exactly the same thing I'm doing? I really wanted to be the greatest, most unique guy in the universe but know it turns out that I'm competing with my mirror image for the job.
Sometimes being great is a great burden. Of course, if I was a shithead, I'd still be competing with myself. I just wouldn't be as keenly aware of the competition. I guess it's okay to have all these other pseudo-me's out there. I mean, what are you going to do?
If every choice I make creates another universe with the choice I didn't make, then I should always couch every choice as "Either I eat the coffee cake or...I kill myself in some spectacular fashion." Then I eat the coffee cake and, one by one, all those other parallel me's (freeloaders, one and all) kill themselves. Eventually, I'll be the only one left.
Of course, to live with that on your mind and an actual choice all the time would be really stressful.
So I'm calling a truce between me and me.
You live your life and I'll live mine. And if you happen to do everything I do, that's on you. I'm doing my thing and you're doing yours. And they might just happen to be exactly the same.
Of course, this is all only if you believe the theory that there are many worlds.
Maybe in another universe I do, but not in this one.
Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home